Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Q: I am a new employee; how do I qualify for health insurance?

A: For an hourly employee, to qualify for health insurance, you must work 3 full, consecutive calendar months with a minimum of 100 hours worked in each month.  Salaried employees qualify for health insurance the first of the next month following the date of hire.

Q: How do I maintain my eligibility for benefits?

A: All employees – hourly or salaried – must satisfy the SAME requirement to maintain eligibility for benefits. The plan has a six-month stability period with a three-month look-back period. Employees remain eligible if they have a minimum of 300 hours worked in the look-back period. Coverage will be cancelled if the 300 hours requirement is not met, and then employee must have 3 consecutive months with an average of 100 hours or more per month to get coverage reinstated.

Q: I don’t have access to a printer, how do I print the application?

A: Each location has an Employee Self Service Terminal. You can access the Benefits website and print the forms.

Q: How do I enroll in coverage?

A: Download the application from this website, fill it out, and return it to Benefits along with any other required documentation to enroll in coverage.

Q: When will I get my ID cards?

A: Approximately 2 weeks after you receive your new coverage letter. These will be sent to your home address. You will get cards for medical, dental, and prescription. Use your medical card for vision.

Q: What if I miss my initial enrollment period and would like to enroll in the insurance plan?

A: Each year there will be an open enrollment period in November. Coverage goes into effect on January 1st of the next calendar year or after January 1st when you meet the eligibility requirements.

Q: If I am currently enrolled under the plan and no longer want to participate, can I end my coverage?

A: You can drop your coverage during open enrollment or if you have a qualified life event.

Q: How will I know when open enrollment is?

A: It is the full month of November.  In addition to mailing packets to every WinCo employee, announcements are made and posters are hung in the store breakrooms as well.

Q: When can I add or remove my spouse and/or dependent(s) from the plan.

A: You can add or remove during annual open enrollment or if you have a qualifying life event.

Q: What is a qualifying life event?

A: A qualifying life event is when you gain a spouse or dependent or if there is a loss in coverage. You have 31 days from the date of the event to update your insurance. In the event of death or divorce, you need to update Benefits ASAP. Here is a list of the events:

  • Birth, Adoption, Gain Legal Guardianship
  • Marriage
  • Death of Dependent
  • Divorce, Legal Separation, or Annulment
  • Gained Other Qualified Group Coverage (you or someone gains other insurance coverage and wants to leave the WinCo plan)
  • Loss of Other Qualified Group Coverage (you or someone loses other insurance coverage and wants to start on the WinCo plan)

Q: How long can I cover a child/dependent?

A: You can cover a child up to age 26, regardless of student status.

Q: What do I do if I have a qualifying life event?

A: You have 31 days from the date of the event to make the change. If the 31-day window is missed, you have to wait for open enrollment. Click here for more information.

Q: Who can I cover on my insurance?

A.  You can cover your spouse that you are legally married to (common law spouses are not covered) and/or any children up to age 26.  Children can be yours children, your step-children, or any children you have legal guardianship over.  All dependents must be legal residents.  Proof of relationship is required to add any dependents to your insurance.

Q:  I moved and need to change my address with the insurance companies. What do I do?

A: Update your address immediately with your Store Personnel Clerk or Warehouse HR Specialist or by using the Employee Self Service terminal at your location by logging into the AS400 and using menu option #5, Employee Address Changes – ESS. (See instructions below.) Once your address change is completed, your address will be automatically updated with the insurance companies. In addition, a current address is important because a lot of the Benefits communication is sent via mail and a bad address will delay notification.

Q: How do I log into employee self-service?

A: You can log into Employee Self Service by using the employee terminal at your location. Your default user name is your 6-digit employee number and the default password is your date of birth plus the last four digits of your Social Security Number in this format mmddyyyy####.

A: How do I check my health insurance hours to see if I have enough to keep my insurance?

Q: Use the employee terminal at your location and log into Employee Self Service using the instructions above. Choose the Insurance tab to see your benefit hours.

Q: If I am currently out on leave, how do I make my insurance premium payment?

A: You will need to make a check or money order out to WinCo Foods and mail payment to WinCo Foods, Attn: Benefits Office, PO Box 5756, Boise, ID 83705. If you do not know what amount you need to pay, please contact the Benefits Office at 800-341-6543, option #4. Failure to make a timely payment can put your benefits coverage in jeopardy.  Click here for more information.

Q: Do I still have to meet the hours requirement to continue my benefits if I have missed work due to a leave of absence?

A: That depends on the type of leave.  Leave approved under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides benefit protection for employees with active insurance coverage whereas most other leave types do not.  For instance, Worker’s Compensation does not provide benefit protection from the hours requirement.  However, if the employee on Worker’s Compensation is covered by the FMLA, then hour protections are provided.  Leave as an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act does not provide benefit protection provisions.

Q: If I stop working for WinCo, when does my insurance end?

A: Coverage ends the last day of the month in which you separate employment or you retire. Information on continuation of coverage, COBRA, will arrive at your home address on file approximately two weeks after your termination is entered in our system.

Q:  If my dependent’s name is wrong, how do I fix it?

A:  You must submit a request to Benefits. Click here for the requirements.

Q: What if a question I have is not listed here?

A: When in doubt, contact Benefits for any and all questions related to your insurance (medical, dental, visions, prescription) coverage at 800-341-6543, option #4, or at Getting wrong information from another source will not extend your timeframes.